f a i t h SEES the invisible, BELIEVES the incredible and RECEIVES the impossible...

.

June 3, 2012

Smile because she lived...

I didn't anticipate being as affected as I was by Dr. Davy's passing. I had known about her battle with leukemia for awhile now, and sometimes even heard her speak openly about death. But as I read the news on Twitter, I immediately felt a lump grow in my throat as my eyes welled up. I had just seen her two weeks earlier when she gently teased me for being one of the last seniors on-campus, days after graduation.

"I never thought you'd be the one," she smirked.

"What do you mean?" I asked, as I plopped down in the chair diagonal from her desk. It was Thursday, four days after we had crossed the stage at Commencement.

"The one that would have trouble letting go," she said. "There's one every year. But I never would've guessed it'd be you."

I never would've guessed it either; but the fact of the matter is that I wasn't quite ready to let go. I wasn't ready to turn the page on what has been one of the most life-changing chapters of my life. Wasn't ready to say goodbye to the characters that have had more of an impact on my life and who I am than I gave them credit for.

Dr. Freddye T. Davy was one of those people. In a word, Dr. Davy was a BOSS. An original gangsta. An O.G. - yeah, I said it. She kept her pimp hand strong and her words even stronger. She didn't waste her breath and definitely never wasted her time. Many didn't realize that Dr. Davy has been sick for awhile now; you never would've guessed it by looking at her. She rarely missed a day of work and refused to slow down no matter how much her health deteriorated. She often said she was working on borrowed time; time I'd like to think she borrowed to see my class off into the world. I think that's what caused the tears to fall. It wasn't sadness; it was more like overwhelming gratitude.

Throughout college I've lost so many mentors and leaders as they transitioned to new chapters in their lives. First, Dean Tony Brown, the journalism legend whose leadership at the Scripps Howard School is the very reason I chose Hampton University. Then, Professor Martha Wilson - the first teacher at Hampton who truly invested in me. Then it was Opel Jones, the director of the Leadership Institute. Dr. Taylor of the Honors College and Leadership Institute left soon after. Mr. Dillard, director of University choirs passed away unexpectedly last year. During my tenure at Hampton, I experienced three different school deans, two different Leadership Institute directors and two different mentors in the Honors College. Dr. Davy, however, made it known that she wasn't leaving until she was good and ready. After spending a few days in the hospital last week, she checked out after ignoring the concerns of her doctor. She allegedly told the hospital staff that she refused to lay in a hospital waiting to die. The next day she returned to work. Just days later, I was told that she bid the Honors College staff farewell for the day with one casual phrase that I'm sure the secretary will never forget: "See ya when I see ya."

Words can't describe what Dr. Davy meant to me. If you had talked to me just a year ago, I would've told you that Dr. Davy had a personal vendetta against me. She would barely let me get a word out before challenging my thinking, my word choice and even the way I carried myself. There were times when I would go weeks hiding from her to avoid her critical gaze (though it was difficult because I lived in the same building as her office). Now, I'm thankful that she cared enough to give me the tough love that she did. I'm grateful to be one of the few whose names she remembered. And while I'm glad I was able to thank her face-to-face for everything she taught me a few weeks ago, as well as see her celebrated when the Honors College was renamed in honor of her just months ago, I felt inclined to create a post sharing the invaluable wisdom that she bestowed upon me during my tenure at Hampton.

Dr. Davy has taught thousands of students during her lifetime, but here are some of the valuable words of wisdom that I gained from her. I like to call them...


The Davy-isms:
  • Think before you speak. Forget "um" and "like," Dr. Davy would barely let me get a word out before calling me out for saying "basically" or "you know." She taught me to mean what I say and say what I mean. There's nothing wrong with pausing to collect your thoughts and, in most cases, it makes people pay more attention to what you're saying when you do take your time. There's nothing wrong with slowing down and paying attention to what you're saying and how you're saying it.
  • Pay your dues, then get paid to pursue your passion. Dr. Davy used to say that my generation was too caught up on following our passions. The fact of the matter is, in her opinion, that dropping everything to follow your passion is not only misguided, but stupid as well. "At 22-years old, what are you sure about?" She asked me one day. Before I could answer, she cut in. "All you know is that you want to be able to feed yourself and be financially independent. Pursue something that will help you to do that and along the way, you'll find your passion and have the ability to pursue it without losing everything." According to Dr. Davy, she didn't find her passion until after years of school, teaching and random jobs here and there. It wasn't until later in life that she began doing what she was truly passionate about - on her own terms. Dr. Davy often didn't come in to work until after 11 a.m. She had earned that privilege because her dues were paid.
  • Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life. Dr. Davy was passionate about the Honors College. She lived and breathed it, investing everything she had in each student she had. It was often that I would see the light on in her office as late as 11 p.m. She loved the work she was doing and I truly believe that that's why she was able to stay with us as long as she did.
  • It's not who you know, it's who knows you. 
  • Don't ask people what they can do for you; tell people what you need from them. [WARNING: The power of this technique is semi-dangerous if used correctly. Not for the ill-willed or weak at heart]. I like to call this one "The Davy." I often witnessed it when she would call students and faculty into her office, or even when she would reach out to alumni. It's a technique that I marveled at and, to this day, have practiced using it for my own purposes. The results have been surreal. Dr. Davy had a way of getting what she needed from you by phrasing a question in the form of a statement. For example, instead of asking someone, "Can you help me build an ark later? There going to be a flood;" Dr. Davy would say: "I'm going to have you get started on this ark I'm building. There's going to be a flood and there's no time to waste." If you practice this technique enough, you'll never have to worry about rallying support or getting things done.
  • Common sense ain't that common. Too often we question what we already know to be true. It's often about what we should or shouldn't do in a situation. We try to safeguard our actions by seeking validation from others instead of trusting our gut or intuition. Thinking before you ask questions and trusting your instincts will get you much further than adopting a CYA mentality all the time. Too often it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.
  • Waiting for the spanking hurts worse than the spanking itself. So get it over with! If you did something wrong, own up to it and own up to it quickly. The faster you take responsibility for what you did, the faster you deal with the consequences. Also, being honest and accountable often will get you more respect than waiting to confess and playing the blame game.

The lessons I've learned from Dr. Davy are boundless. Our loss was Heaven's gain and I will forever be grateful for the lessons (though tough) that I gained from her. She was truly a gem and I'm glad to have another angel added to my flock. I will continue to honor her memory by living her wisdom and sharing it with others. Dr. Davy lived. She really, really lived. And I'm grateful.

Rest in peace.

What are some Davy-isms that you learned from her? Celebrate her life by commenting and sharing what she taught you.

31 comments:

  1. Dr. Davy taught me to apply for everything. She was always upset that more of us didn't apply for scholarships and grants and loved to send us information on different programs that would help better our future. So I shall continue to apply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jess this is beautiful and i know Dr.Davy is looking down on us all
    May her soul Rest In Peace...Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. I am so glad I was able to read this and share some of our similar memories of Dr. Davy. She really was unique and God wanted it to be the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this Jess. I'm grateful she challenged me to be a better student and person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember I wanted to quit honors college senior year because I just thought my work load was too much for me to handle. When I told Dr. Davy I wanted to quit, she asked why. I said "because I'm tired." She said "you have no right to be tired." Then she told me about my ancestors who shed blood, went to jail, and died so that I could receive an education, get proper employment, and basically live a better life than they ever imagined. It put a lot into perspective for me and every time I get tired or discouraged now, I still think of those words. Tough love !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent! You did an amazing job at capturing her essence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome Jesse! Im glad that you spilled your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME! I"M GOING TO POST THIS ON TWITTER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this. You said what I have been struggling to say since yesterday. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was beautifully written. I had the pleasure of taking one of Dr. Davy's classes. I thought she was the most elegant woman on the planet! I wanted to be just like her when I began my career as a teacher. I'm sad to know that she won't be there when I return to campus but her legacy will live forever. HU c/o 98

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was nicely written, i didn't know dr davy but reading this felt like i too gained a piece of her and her knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was Amazing Jess! Although I did not know her that well what I knew her to be was a strong and influential person I can still remember her voice as a freshman she was truly a person who gave everything she had to Hampton University and will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tribute to Dr. Davy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just ran across this randomly and had to reply. I am from the Class of 2003 and I too "plopped down in the chair diagonal from her desk" countless times. I will have to share your message because so many of us can relate to it. She loved each of us individually - like a grandmother who loves all of her babies. Babies that go back to 1994! Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dr. Davy was indeed the embodiment of all that we strive to be as educators. Her stern elegance, provincial wisdom and keen wit were a true testament of how much she cared for her students and her desire to pass on successful tradition and build / support our generation. I am blessed to have shared my Honors College experience with her. I agree, she knew what it took to nurture the best in each of us and offered us lessons for living. She is truly and HU legend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was one of her students when she taught junior high in Maryland. I have quoted her at least once a week since (the early 'seventies). Her mischievous spirit was always on display. For example, when she would issue a writing assignment, a dozen hands would shoot into the air, all waiting to ask the same adolescent question, "How long does it have to be?"
    Her answer was always given with sparkling eyes and a shake of the head, "Like a miniskirt; it should be long enough to cover the subject." How could I not love that? She was renowned as a "hard" teacher, but she was affectionate and encouraging of our learning, while not suffering any insolence or rudeness whatsoever. She was brilliant, and I have always been grateful to her. Goodnight, dear lady, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful post. I remember her always saying that our $25K (probably more now) education was more than sitting in a classroom. She encouraged us to take advantage of the cultural events at Hampton. She also told us that we were in control of our own education, that stuck with me through out my time at Hampton. At first I was sad about her death, but I remembered how many people she has influenced. Many people die every day, but very few people live a meaningful life, and even fewer live a life that impacts so many people. Dr. Davy managed to do both of those things, and made it look easy. One final thought, I interviewed her once for a class project and asked, "how long do you think you will do this (being director of HC)? She responded with the quickness, "Until I die or I am no longer effective." As usual, she was right on in her predictions. She will truly be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman.
    Class of 97

    ReplyDelete
  21. Former Employee of HUJune 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

    Although I did not know Dr. Davy as an educator for me, I did now her as someone I worked with at Hampton University. Whenever I would encounter her in the Business Office, she was always very kind and very direct. Her words would leave me in Aww. Dr. Davy inspired me from afar, wanting to be SHARP and DIRECT just like her as I pursued my career. God has given us a gift, and she has touch and done her job here well. When we are done with what we are to do here on earth, GOD WILL call us home. Finish your work, complete your journey and wait to be held by our father in Heaven. Celebrate the life of Dr. Freddye Davy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have met Dr. Davy many times in the last 2 years. I will be attending Hampton in the fall and I hope that others, as well as myself, will continue her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jess, as a parent of a former Hamptonian, I was honored to have had the influence of Dr. Davy in my daughter's life. She was well respected and admired by my daughter. I felt as if I knew Dr. Davy personally from all of the many stories told to me on the many phone calls home. Thank you for sharing your heart and these truths about this great woman Dr. Freddye Davy. God bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Miss Jess, you have hit the nail on the head. I experienced Dr. Davy in high school, 1986 to be exact. Oh those Davy-isms. They do hold true. Dr. Davy was awesome and when I see the many lives she impacted, wow. I must say it is a privilege to be among her many pupils. We will all miss her but as for me I know she has left so much of herself within me as well as within the students who's lives she touched. My daughter is coming to Hampton in the fall. I spoke with Dr. Davy and we were excited to re-unite and I was excited for my daughter to meet Dr. Davy. I am a little saddened that she will not get to experience the awesome Dr. Freddye T. Davy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dr. Davy made the difference in this first generation college graduate's life. She put her money where her mouth was, helping me finish HU; encouraged me to apply for a Georgetown summer program which ultimately led to my selection of Georgetown for graduate school; and showed me the value of intentional leadership. I am grateful that she loved me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I met Dr. Davy in March when my daughter was inducted into the Honors College 2012. It was something that struck me about this tall lady who was so kind after we had traveled for ten hours. I know she was ment to meet my daughter and now has made a life changing force in her life as a Honors College member. What a beautiful story she told me about Dr. Davey discussing and giving her a thirty minute deadline to be in her office for an interview. She wanted to give her the wings of knowledge...probably one of her last freshman to receive this grand honor of knowledge from a legacy. Thank you for this spirit of wisdom that our daughter will carry for the next three years whhile attending Hampton. New England Parent

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very beautifully written and a great reminder of all the lessons that Dr. Davy taught all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jess, this was a very moving blog post. I was definitely caught off guard when I learned of Dr. Davy's passing on Facebook. I entered Hampton University in 1995 and Dr. Davy was a major force in my life during my entire four years. First, I didn't want to stay in the Honors dorm upon arrival. I was a baggy jean, shell top addia wearing Mass Media major who was too cool for that. However, I knew I need to be in the Honor College. I often fought my position in Honors College. I had a TV Show to Produce, a radio station to run and friends to hang out with. However, Dr. Davy STAYED ON Me!!!!!! You called Dr. Davy a Boss, which she was; in my mind Dr. Davy was a Grande Dame. I believe that she is the only person other than my mother that I was afraid of. I am going to copy and paste your Davisms so not only do I not forget them, I want to pass them on because these were words that us honors students lived by for years. And, you are right, Dr. Davy definitely told you what she needed you to do. I don't think I ever heard of anyone "successfully" saying "no" to Dr. Davy.

    One year, when I had trouble making travel plans to get back to school, Dr. Davy picked me up from the train station and I stayed in her home. This was the epitome of an act from a Hampton family member. Every time I visited campus after I graduated, I stopped by the Honors College hoping to catch Dr. Davy.

    Dr. Davy was a force to be reckoned with and I'm so proud that she was a force in my life.

    R.I.P. Dr. Davy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful touching and well-written tribute. Your Davyisms are perfect. So glad to see she didn't change when she left here. It warms my heart to know that she was loved and appreciated by others as much as she was when she was a totally inspiring teacher and force at Takoma Park Junior High School in Maryland. We believed she could do anything she set her mind to, and do it with class. My adult children have never forgotten Dr. Davy's Planning Sheets for writing essays. She brought out the best in everyone. When we fought the County School Boarad to keep our integrated school open, where she also ran the after hours Community School Program, she testified before the State Board of Education on our behalf, even though she might have lost her teaching position. When it looked as if our efforts had been in vain, she said it wasn't over until they locked the doors. She was right. Eventually in 1983, we won that fight and the school lives on, though changed into a middle school science magnet. She was a woman to admire and to emulate.
    And a good friend.

    Faith Stern

    ReplyDelete