f a i t h SEES the invisible, BELIEVES the incredible and RECEIVES the impossible...

.

April 5, 2012

Get Over It: Why Black People Need to Lighten Up

Face it – black people like chicken.

It can be baked, barbequed, broiled, slow roasted, kabob’d or grilled; but let's be honest, you like it best when it’s fried. There’s nothing like the crispy, juicy, down home comfort of a crunchy, perfectly-spiced chicken breast. Your mama made it, her mama made it, her mama’s mama made it and her mama’s mama’s mama probably made it on somebody’s plantation. Fried chicken runs as deep as the blood, sweat and tears of our ancestors and is an undeniably integral part of our culture as black Americans. We cook it, we eat it, we talk about it and if you look anything like Mary J. Blige, you’re mostly likely singing about it too (see video on right).

Too much? Well, if you didn’t even kind-of smile at that last paragraph I have two words for you: LIGHTEN UP! It’s time for us to start treating silly generalizations as what they are – silly generalizations. It’s like the black community is in a permanently crouched position – waiting, carefully watching for someone to slip up and do or say anything seemingly offensive that we can rant about. From racist bumper stickers, to ignorant tweets to stereotype-charged advertising, we’ve slowly become the that was racist-patrol. We have to understand that most generalizations are based in some sort of fact and laugh about it. We also have to understand that people tend to hate and fear what they don't understand. Most importantly, we, as a community, have to realize that our constant defensiveness is what gives blatant ignorance its power.

In regards to Mary J. Blige, the 'queen of ghetto love' recently decided to partner with Burger King to promote their new crispy chicken wrap. In a voice filled with the soul we all know and love, she sang “crispy chicken, fresh lettuce, three cheeses, ranch dressing, wrapped up in a tasty flour tortilla!” like the rent was past due. I’ll be the first to admit it – when I saw the commercial, I couldn’t help but bob my head and snap to the catchy beat. When the commercial was over, I laughed and shook my head. In no way did I feel that Mary J. Blige making a personal decision to sing about fried chicken had tarnished my brand. Matter of fact, the tune has been stuck in my head ever since. Nevertheless, Burger King pulled the commercial after backlash from viewers who said the commercial was racist.


The truth is, to be a famous and successful black American is to carry the weight of the black community on one’s shoulders. We automatically realize the fact that there may not be many in our position and that the image we project to the general population may be one of the only positive impressions of blacks to which they’re exposed. We realize that how we speak, behave and react is being judged at all times by our paler counterparts and we respond accordingly.

But is it fair? Is it fair to me that the silly decisions Mary J. Blige makes for her brand could affect how people view me? Is it fair to aspiring black actresses that they could be discounted in regards to larger lead roles because of the roles that actresses like Gabourey Sidibe, Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis and even the late Hattie McDaniel have chosen to take? Is it fair that young black boys like Trayvon Martin have to fear for their lives because of young thugs who share nothing but a similar complexion?

No. It’s not fair. And while some may argue that life isn’t fair and “it is what it is,” I decided long ago that wasn't going to own y'all's “raggedy shit” (credit to Raven). I’ve got enough of my own to deal with. Yes, I’m black. No, I don’t like fried chicken. Yes, I’m black. No, I'm not plotting to attack you because I’m wearing a hoodie. Yes, I’m black. No, my first language is not “Ebonics.” I’m not a dropout, I don’t aspire to be the next Nicki Minaj and I am not illiterate (my excellent reading comprehension actually made it clear to me that both Rue and Thresh were black prior to viewing The Hunger Games on opening night - but that’s another conversation).

There comes a time when you have to be able to laugh at yourself and more importantly, laugh at other people. Don’t own those generalizations. Realizing that your success is not based on someone else’s decisions and choosing to be your own unique brand is the first step to fighting stereotypes.

- Jess

2 comments:

  1. As a race Blacks have been portrayed disproportionately in a negative light. At this point I think we should ask ourselves the following when viewing the media and then decide whether we should be offended:

    Does this move us forward?
    Does this move us backward?
    Does this keep us at the same state and in the same frame of apathetic state of mind that "its all good"?

    We should not only apply this litmus test to this commercial but to Black comedians, Tyler Perry, BET and all others who have the power to portray us to an audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! But at the same time, I still don't believe it's fair for the portrayal of the entire black community to be the responsibility of every individual public figure. If we keep stressing the fact that they must carry us on their back while trying to personally advance their brand, it limits artistic expression and marginalizes us as a community even more. Yes, we must understand that we are a community - but we also must realize that we are a community of individuals.

      Delete