f a i t h SEES the invisible, BELIEVES the incredible and RECEIVES the impossible...

.

April 9, 2012

2012...or 1912?

2012: The Year the Pot Finally Boiled Over 
2012: The Year America's Caged Monster Finally Broke Free
2012: The Year the Country's Dirty Little Secret Went Viral
2012: The Year a Dark Past Emerged From The Shadows
2012: The Year We Realized We Were Never Really "Free."

I've been daydreaming about future headlines for awhile now. With so much going on in the news, I can't help but think that it's time.

It's that realization moment when it becomes apparent that what happens next is up to you. Up to me. At 22-years old, I'm the same age as most of the Freedom Riders (pictured above) who left college to risk their lives on a journey through the deep South to challenge Jim Crow. I'm the same age as many of the protestors who marched in strength and solitude for Emmett Till. As I prepare to leave college and embark on a life that will be guided solely by my own decisions, I've come to the realization that the Special Prosecutor's announcement is a direct challenge at me, my peers and our future children.

In just four months since the start of the new year, the black community has already suffered the loss of too many as a result of bigotry and racism. Trayvon Martin was killed in cold blood 43 days ago; his murderer is still not in custody. On March 24, 19-year old college student, Kendrec McDade, was shot and killed after being wrongfully suspected of having a weapon. Four days ago, Howard Morgan was sentenced to 40 years in prison after being shot 28 times by police officers while he was working as an off-duty police officer. This past weekend, innocent black pedestrians in Tulsa, Oklahoma were gunned down by two racist white men.

Is this 2012 or 1912? As we continue forward toward this year's presidential election, I can't help but wonder about what else the year has in store and how my generation will respond. The Black Panther party has already reorganized into a more modern, yet just as radical version. Racial tension is at an all-time high right now, and I know that if something doesn't happen soon these rallies could quickly turn into riots. But would you riot?

Mark my words: The events of this year could forever be recorded in history as a turning point for this country and its continued struggle with its dark past. The headline may even look similar to what I imagined above. But how will our response fit into that story? How will our generation be described? What will you tell your grandchildren when they ask you about it?

It's not just time; it's our time. I think it's time to stand up and regroup. What happens next is up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment